2 hours in total
Offered in English
Meetup at a desingated location
What To Expect
The traditional paper masks, as distinct and recognizable as the full moon during the Mid-Autumn festival, has for years been a favorite traditional toy among Vietnamese children. During the night of the festival, gleeful children parade around the neighborhood wearing colorful paper masks as they carry with them bobbing lanterns to illuminate the streets - a sort of trick or treat equivalent during Halloween. Families join in the celebration while the young ones bring life to the artfully crafted masks that are at once both colorful and representative of the festivities of the night.
The tradition of wearing paper masks is cherished and endeared tradition among the locals. Entirely handmade and always lingering with the faint smell of paper and glue, the locals love the simplicity of this the tradition which dates back many centuries. Alas, it is now a dying art where modern toys are replacing this age-old tradition. In this exclusive visit, you will have access to a special gem in the backstreets of Hanoi's Old Quarters and make your own paper masks with the only remaining couple to still continue the tradition.
Note: The paper masks that you create will take a day or two to dry under the sun depending on the weather. While you will learn how to make one, the masks that you will eventually paint on and take home with you will be a ready-made handmade mask that has already been dried. So what of your mask? Think about it, some child in Hanoi will wear your mask when it is eventually sold in the market.
- A chance to create a traditional mask in Hanoi's Old Quarter.
- A hands-on look at the centuries-old custom, now a dying art.
- An opportunity to learn about the important Mid-Autumn Festival.
- Painting handmade mask—a favorite toy of Vietnamese children.
- Working with one of the few craftsmen continuing the custom.
- The workshop is opened every day.
- Please choose one of these following class hours.
- 09:00 AM
- 10:00 AM
- 11:00 AM
- 12:00 PM
- 01:00 PM
- 02:00 PM
- Exact location will be confirmed after reservation.
- Do not wear clothes that you wouldn't want paint accidentally drop on.
- Professional English-speaking teacher
- Paper mask
- Painting colors
What's not included
- Pick-up and drop-off services
- 7% service fee
- Personal expenses
- Other activities not mentioned in the program
Plan your trip
- Join a small group of maximum 6 people
- Instant confirmation
- Join group message after payment
- Free cancellation - 48 hrs notice
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximize your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.