8 hours in total
Lunch, transport included
Pick up at your hotel
What To Expect
Elephanta Caves is a must-see destination for history buffs or archaeology aficionados who would like to see true excavations pertaining to the ancient histories of India. From the Gateway of India, your tour will ride a ferry to the island where the Elephanta Caves are found. You will climb 120 steps to the plateau where these caves can be entered. There are seven major excavations in the area, and you'll be able to explore the history behind the artifacts and structures found therein. There is a spacious hall supported by huge pillars, which are characteristic of the architecture of the 6th and 7th centuries. A massive three-headed Shiva sculpture stands therein, which is one of the major attractions in the caves. You will be able to explore 3 caves, each with a unique feature: one is a large Hindu Cave, the other is a Buddhist cave, and the final one is a cave dedicated to the God Shiva. You will discover a beautiful cultural heritage site and gain a deeper understanding of India's religious history.
- Visit the Elephanta Caves; a UNESCO World Heritage site, accessible from the Gateway of India
- Learn about the 7 cave excavations at Elephanta, all carved from solid basalt rock
- Discover the temples which honor the Hindu God Shiva and contain many intricate sculptures
- A fun journey to the caves, learning about each of their features and the story behind each one
- An English speaking guide will be available to help you in your tour
- Enjoy great price benefits when traveling with 2 or more adults
- 9:30 am: Meet up with guide outside Pizza Express restaurant and proceed to Gateway of India
- 10:00 am: Ferry ride on the Arabian sea from Gateway of India to the Elephanta Caves (duration: 1 hour)
- 11:00 am: On arrival to the island, walk or take a short toy train from the jetty to where you need to climb 120 steps to the plateau where the caves are located
- 11:30 am: See the large three-headed Shiva sculpture. Explore the 3 caves - the large Hindu cave, Buddhist cave and the main Shiva cave
- 1:00 pm: After exploring, the guide will drop you back to the ferry point and see you off from there on the return ferry ride back to Gateway of India
- 2:15 pm: Tour ends at Gateway of India
- English speaking local guide
- Ferry charges
- Entrance Fees
Plan your trip
- Instant confirmation
- Join group chat after payment
- Free cancellation - 48 hrs notice
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximizes your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.