Skip the line and save time
Countless cultural experiences
The Quintessence of Tonkin
What To Expect
Ten years in the making, the Quintessence of Tonkin is an outdoor spectacle that reaffirms Hanoi's position as the cultural capital of Vietnam. Showcasing traditional elements of Vietnamese culture in a contemporary and innovative way, the Quintessence of Tonkin delivers audiences a unique and memorable exploration of the Red River Delta - the beating heart of northern Vietnam.
This show is blended 6 different aspects of the cultural Quintessence of Tonkin: Poetry, Buddhism, Nostalgia, Music & Painting, Joy & Festivities. Besides, water puppetry - a typical form of Vietnamese art, which has existed for more than 1,000 years - as a part of the Quintessence of Tonkin will bring you vivid images of daily rural life in Vietnam.
Located 25km west of central Hanoi, The Quintessence of Tonkin occupies a space close to Chua Thay (Thay Pagoda), a special National Heritage and one of the oldest Buddhist pagodas in Vietnam. Chua Thay can be easily visited in conjunction with a trip to see The Quintessence of Tonkin, which helps frame the spectacle.
Especially, the open air rice field completes with a replicated village and the Chua Thay Mountain as the backdrop is the setting for this spectacle, which is performed on a submerged stage under a thin layer of water. "Mountains and water are very important in Vietnamese spirituality and folklore, which is why the show takes place on a lake and the Chua Thay hill is visible", says Hoang Nhat Nam, Director of the show. "The Quintessence of Tonkin" will be showcased in different fields of arts from poetry, music, painting, sculpture, architecture, leisure activities to cultural activities in religious belief and in the working life of the people.
- 7:30 - 8:30 pm
- Venue: Da Phuc Village (near Thay Pagoda), Sai Son Commune, Quoc Oai District, Hanoi.
- Pick-up: 5:30 PM from the Hanoi Tower, 49 Hai Ba Trung Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
- Drop-off: at approximately 8:45 pm.
- Complementary shuttle bus for individual guests/ group under 10 people will be provided with bookings of at least 2 days in advance.
- Ticket holder should arrive at the amphitheater at least 30 minutes before the show on time to check in. Latecomers will be seated in a latecomers' zone. Price difference between zone booked and latecomers' zone will not be refunded.
- Seats in latecomers' zone are subject to amphitheater availability.
- Seating plan:
- Ticket to the Quintessence of Tonkin
- Complementary shuttle bus at a meeting point upon request
What's not included
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off service
- Food and beverages
Plan your trip
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximize your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.