Beijing full-day city tour: Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, and Summer Palace
9 hours in total
Pick up at your hotel
What To Expect
Explore the history of China on a 7-hour coach tour through some of Beijing's most iconic sites, including the Tian'anmen Square, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, and Summer Palace. Learn more than 500 years of imperial history and more.
Start with an early morning pick-up from your hotel then transfer to Tian'anmen Square. Marvel at the monuments that pay testament to China's communist regime, and the Maoist influence on the nation's modern-day history. One of the largest public squares in the world, Tian'anmen Square contains the monuments to the heroes of the revolution, the National Museum of China, and the Chairman Mao Zedong Memorial Hall, where your guide will explain all about these monuments to you. You will not enter the Square, but your guide will show and explain all these monuments from the distance.
Next, enter the Forbidden City, the largest and best-preserved of the imperial palaces. The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming dynasty to the end of the Qing dynasty (1420 to 1912), and the complex exemplifies traditional Chinese palatial architecture. You will have approximately 2 hours to explore along the central axis, from the south (Outer Court) to the north (Inner Court).
Your next destination is the Temple of Heaven. After stopping by a traditional Chinese medicine shop, you will enter the Temple of Heaven, see where the ancient Emperors prayed for peace and a good harvest in the medieval complex of religious buildings.
Take a break with a Chinese lunch in a local restaurant. Then, go to a traditional pearl market to shop for some unique souvenirs.
Continue to the vast complex of lakes and palaces at the Summer Palace, declared by UNESCO as “a masterpiece of Chinese landscape garden design.” Enjoy approximately 80 minutes to explore the pavilions, natural beauty of Kunming Lake, and palaces and temples of Longevity Hill, before the transfer back to your hotel in the city center.
- 06:00 - 07:30 am: Pick up from your hotel in central Beijing. Exact pickup time will be confirmed after reservation.
- Experience the Maoist influence on modern-day China in Tian'anmen Square.
- Explore the Outer and Inner Court of the Forbidden City.
- Go to the Summer Palace of the Chinese emperors on Longevity Hill.
- See where the emperors would pray for a good harvest at the Temple of Heaven.
- Discover where Chairman Mao's body lies in state.
- Enjoy a typical Chinese lunch at a local restaurant.
- Learn about the traditions of Chinese medicine.
- Visit a pearl market to bargain for unique souvenirs.
- Free pickup is only applicable to hotels located in the city center, including the Third Ring Road in the North, East, West and the Second Ring Road in the South.
- Tiananmen Square is difficult to access because it has plenty of controls. Therefore, this tour does not access Tiananmen Square, but the guide shows and explains all the monuments from a corner in the distance.
- Please bring along your passport for the check-in process at the entrace.
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel in central Beijing
- Experienced English-speaking guide
- Air-conditioned transports
- Chinese local lunch
- Entrance fees
What's not included
- Other personal expenses
- Other activities not mentioned in the program
Plan your trip
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspirit. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximizes your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.