3 hours in total
Pick up at a meet-up point
What To Expect
There is a difference between knowing and understanding. Most of us stereotyped slums as a run-down area with substandard housing, hazardous locations and lack of security for tenures. But do we truly understand 'slums' by just defining it?
Visit the slums of Bataan Shipping and Engineering Company Compound or simply BASECO. Discover the resiliency of the residents making use of their limited resources for them to survive. Experience and understand the developing slums by the bay – their livelihood, battling produce from pollution and as residents with mutualism for change. Stroll on alleys and see residents in their humble dwellings overcoming the challenge of protracted access for water and electricity. Delve deeper into the atrocities that these residents are engaging each day and see how they manage to keep their enthusiasm for tomorrows and uncertainties it bears.
- 09:00 am: Pick up from a meeting point in central Manila. Exact location will be confirmed after reservation. Meet your local guide and start the most unique Slum Tour in Manila.
- Fishing industry: Understand the battles slum fishermen are facing because of pollution.
- Charcoal making: See how charcoal is produced from driftwoods.
- Residential areas: Walk through the locals' houses and learn more about their condition.
- Slum beach: Experience the grey sand beach of Baseco.
- Public transportation: Experience public transportation in the Philippines as your local guide takes you on a jeepney and tricycle.
- 12:00 pm: Conclude the tour and transfer back to your hotel.
- Please note that we have a strict NO CAMERA policy on this tour. We try to be as less intrusive as possible and at the same time to minimize any discomfort our tours can cause to the locals.
- There are some areas that could be really muddy. Please wear closed shoes, we will also provide rain boots.
- Pick-up and drop-off at a designated meeting point in central Manila
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Air-conditioned car
What's not included
- Other personal expenses
- Other activities not mentioned in the program
- Other food and drinks
Plan your trip
- Join a small group of maximum 6 people
- Instant confirmation
- Join group message after payment
- Free cancellation - 48 hrs notice
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximize your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.