3 hours in total
Meet up at a meet-up point
What To Expect
Meet your local expert guide punctually at Lavender MRT. Before the tour, your local guide will make an introduction, provide a tour overview and spend some time familiarizing with the group.
You'll start your guided food and cultural tour by learning about the background of your starting point - Lavender, one of Singapore's oldest public housing, largely occupied by an elderly community with small automotive shops, hardware resellers, and temples. As parts of the Little India & Kampong Glam ethnic neighborhoods extend into this area, there are now many small coffee shops and hawker stalls in this rather vintage-looking district. Enjoy your first taste of a local favourite - Roti John (Indian Food), best described as an "Indian burger" which is otherwise a crispy baguette, with the alluring fragrance from caramelized meat and onions wrapped into a beautiful parcel with golden fried eggs with ketchup mixture added as a finishing touch, forming a popular local dish unique only to Singapore.
Your main highlight stop will be Kampong Glam, which is well known for two major landmarks: the impressive Sultan Mosque and the Istana Kampong Gelam, which used to be a Sultan's palace. Home to Malays, the area was once populated by Arab, Boyanese, Bugis, and Javanese people. Today, the area has an eclectic blend of history, culture, and a super trendy lifestyle scene. Here you'll visit a popular food cafe frequented by locals and enjoy the delicious Gado Gado (Malay food), which means “mix-mix” in Indonesia, and the dish includes deep-fried tofu, tempeh (yum), cooked potatoes and fried keropok all mixed in thick peanut sauce coupled with a cup of Teh Tarik, also called the "pulled tea" - a local hot milk beverage. Before leaving the area, head to "Hipster Lane" - Arab Street & Haji Lane, where you would flaunt your Instagram-able poses and OOTDs.
Your last part of the tour brings you to Bugis, a lifestyle precinct which offer multiple dining, shopping and entertainment options. As you walk along the streets, you will discover an amazing array of heartlands facilities, where Singaporeans gather as a community for activities and culture. Here we will stop to try a local favorite traditional prawn mee (Chinese food), essentially robust soup, fresh prawns and firm noodles come together perfectly in one dish.
Soak in the dazzling skyline and ambience as the evening sets. If the weather is clear, you might even get a beautiful sunset panoramic view of the surrounding cityscape. Before ending the tour, you will get to try some Nonya Kueh (Peranakan food), sweet & savory bite-size snacks that will leave not just an exploding delight in your mouth but also a wonderful memory of Singapore.
The entire tour will take about 3 hours, depending on group size, walking speed and weather conditions, covering approximately 4km.
- 02:00 pm: Pick up from Lavender MRT Station. Meet your local guide and start your unique Asian food tour in Singapore.
- Learn about the background of your starting point - Telok Ayer.
- Enjoy Roti John - local's favorite Indian burger.
- Walk through the Kampong Glam, see the famous Sultan Mosque and the Istana Kampong Gelam.
- Visit a popular food cafe and try the delicious Gado Gado (Malaysian food) with a cup of Teh Tarik - a local hot milk beverage.
- Head to Hipster Lane - Arab street and Haji Lane for some instagramable posts.
- Stop by Bugis to discover an amazing array of heartland facilities, where the locals gather as a community for daily activities and culture.
- Taste the traditional prawn mee (Chinese food).
- Enjoy a beautiful sunset panoramic view of the surrounding cityscape.
- Try some Nonya Kueh (Peranakan food).
- 05:30 pm: Transfer to Bugis MRT station and conclude the tour.
- The tour is operated on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.
- Pick-up and drop-off at MRT station
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Local food tasting from 4 major ethnic groups (Chinese, Malay, Indian, and Peranakan)
- All taxes and handling charges
What's not included
- Other personal expenses
- Other activities not mentioned in the program
- Other food and drinks
Plan your trip
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximize your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.