3 hours in total
Offered in English
Pick up at a meet-up location
What To Expect
We start the tour at the Nishiki market, a place recently celebrating its 400th anniversary and the heart of Kyoto's culinary scene. We then take you on a stroll through this famous market and point out some interesting shops and places for you to nibble on some street food sampling some of the local specialties. Your local guide will also show you a famous kitchenware shop selling the world famous Japanese knives. During this time. we will share with you some of our local knowledge and teach you the basics about Japanese cooking.
After our stroll through the markets with a few samples along the way, we will stroll through the famous Pontocho alleyway. Here we will see the restaurants coming to life and will make a stop at a local restaurant or "izakaya" for a chance to sit down and enjoy some classic Japanese dishes such as edamame (salted young soybeans), sashimi, tamagoyaki (Japanese omelet), tofu, tempura (deep-fried seafood and vegetables) and others. This is tapas style so that we can try as many dishes as we like and lots of small dishes will be shared. We cover the first round of drinks and tapas and give you the option to order more of anything you like.
Once we have filled our bellies with tasty treats choose to stay on with the group for the Gion night walking tour. and we can head straight out to catch a glimpse of the geisha and learn all about that secret world. See the most beautiful streets of Gion as the lantern lights start to flicker on and learn a little about the local customs and culture.
- 04:30 pm: Pick up from a meeting point in central Kyoto. Exact meeting location will be confirmed after reservation.
- Meet your local guide and start your night walking tour exploring the best of Nishiki food market.
- Start the tour at Nishiki market.
- Sample some of the local specialties at local's favorite shops.
- Explore the famous vibrant Pontocho alleyway.
- Stop at a local restaurant or "izakaya" to enjoy some classic Japanese dishes.
- 07:30 pm: Choose between continuing to explore Gion night walking tour or transfer back to the meeting point and conclude the tour.
- The tour is available on Tuesdays and Thursdays only.
- Pick-up and drop-off at a designated meeting point in Kyoto
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees
- Food tasting
What's not included
- Other activities not mentioned in the program
- Other food and drinks
Plan your trip
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximizes your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.