7 hours in total
Lunch, transport included
Pick up at Tung Chung MRT station
What To Expect
Depart from Tung Chung MRT station, this Lautau island day trip with a ride on the Ngong Ping cable car. You will get to marvel at the most breathtaking views of Lantau National Park and the airport as we travel over the back of the island for 25 minutes. Our destination is the famous Big Buddha. Here, you will learn about Buddhism, climb 268 steps to see the Giant Buddha, visit the Po Lin Monastery and the new hall of 10,000 Buddhas.
From Ngong Ping, take a 20-minute bus ride to Tai O fishing village, the Venice of Hong Kong. Tai O is one of the very few remaining places in Hong Kong where we can still see stilt houses over the water. The village used to be a big community but due to the decline of the fishing industry it, like Venice, is now primarily a tourist destination, for both overseas visitors and Hong Kongers escaping the hustle and bustle of the city. Tai O is still well-known for its traditional production of shrimp sauce and shrimp paste and its colorful seafood market.
We will embark on a full exploration of Tai O by visiting the beautifully restored Old Police Station, which is now operating as a heritage hotel. This is where we will enjoy lunch (included) in the very nice Lookout restaurant. After the lunch, make a visit to one of the two remaining shrimp sauce production factories, meander the back streets in and around the stilt houses, and visit an ancient temple from the late 1400's and learn about the religion of Taoism.
If you're not tired, your local guide will take you to trek to a lookout point which offers an excellent view of a 42km bridge that is being built between Hong Kong and Macau. For those that are less able to walk longer distances, you can spend some free time browsing the shops around the temple or taking a break in a coffee shop. We will also enjoy a (very fun) boat ride at Tai O, through the stilt houses before taking the public bus back to Tung Chung MRT station.
- Pick-up at Tung Chung MRT station at 9:45 am. On Sundays and public holidays, we meet up at 8:45 am to avoid the crowd.
- Start with a ride on the Ngong Ping cable car from Tung Chung - a great way to get an aerial view of Lantau Island.
- Visit the famous Big Buddha, climb 268 steps to see the Giant Buddha.
- Visit the Po Lin Monastery and the new hall of 10,000 Buddhas.
- Take a 20-minute bus ride to Tai O fishing village, the Venice of Hong Kong where you can see stilt houses over the water and explore the traditional production of shrimp sauce and shrimp paste.
- Stop by the beautifully restored Old Police station, which is now operating as a heritage hotel.
- Enjoy a decent meal in a local restaurant.
- Visit a temple from the late 1400s and gain in-depth knowledge about the religion of Taoism.
- Trek to a lookout point where you can get a stunning view of a 42 km bridge that has been built between Hong Kong and Macau.
- Visit local shops around the temple or take a break in a coffee shop.
- Enjoy a sampan boat ride through the stilt houses before getting back to Tung Chung MRT station at around 5 p.m.
- MRT tickets
- Experienced English-speaking guide
- One way ticket in a standard cabin on the Ngong Ping Cable car
- Sampan boat ride
- Lunch at the Heritage Hotel in Tai O
- Bottled water
What's not included
- Other activities not mentioned in the program
- Other personal expenses
Plan your trip
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximize your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.