8 hours in total
Lunch, transport included
Pick up at your hotel
What To Expect
In this tour, you will understand a much more nuanced understanding of life and work in Mumbai slums through an introduction to Dharavi.
Known to many as 'one of the largest slums in Asia', we prefer to think of Dharavi as Mumbai's beating heart. It houses about one million of Mumbai's inhabitants and its industries have an annual turnover of approximately US$ 665 million.
Through our educational walking tours, visitors will experience a wide range of these business activities including recycling, pottery-making, embroidery, bakery, soap factory, leather tanning, poppadom-making and many more.
We will also visit the residential areas of Dharavi. People from all over India have come to live in Dharavi, making it a microcosm of India. This diversity is apparent in the temples, mosques, churches, and pagodas that stand side by side.
Our three community centers funded by the profits from the tours are also located in the residential area. We will visit one of them and you will learn about the programs that our NGO, Reality Gives, offers the community.
In the afternoon we will show you other, more traditional sights that Mumbai has to offer.
- Please wear modest clothing (for women: no sleeveless shirts, short shorts, or low tops) and closed-toed shoes.
- No Photography Policy: For the Dharavi portion of the tour. This policy helps ensure that our tours are done respectfully and that we maintain our strong relationship with the community.
- Private tour
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Transportation by private air-conditioned car
- English speaking tour guide
- Bottled drinking water
Plan your trip
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximizes your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.