Explore Damnoen Saduak Floating Market & Maeklong Train Market with a local guide
7 hours in total
Pick up from downtown Bangkok
What To Expect
No trip to Bangkok would be complete without a visit to the city's most famous markets!
Let's start your trip with a visit to the Maeklong Railway Market. This market first opened around 1905, and later got its namesake from a railway that was built right through it to improve access to surrounding provinces. The market remains today and sits right upon the working railway line. Witness markets and vendors clearing up their stalls when a train pulls through the market; truly a unique scene!
After that, we move on to see the manufacturing process of palm sugar, a popular crop in this area of Thailand. Following the palm sugar manufacture, we will take a short drive to the boat pier and take a trip along the canals and backwaters. This leads us to the first main attraction of this floating market tour - the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market.
This floating market was once the main market for local vendors and people of Bangkok but has since begun to place a bigger emphasis on its tourist appeal. Although lacking some of its original authenticity, Damnoen Saduak is still a great day trip from Bangkok, providing insight into what market life was like 100 years ago.
You can also spend some time walking the canal sides observing this fascinating waterborne market in progress. If you really want to get in on the action, you can take the option to share a paddle boat and cruise along the canals for about 200 THB/person. Although a bit more expensive, this will give you a great peek into how locals live on the banks of the river. Small shrines and villages can be seen poking through the palm trees - little glimpses into different worlds.
There is a myriad of things to occupy the senses. Tons of different food stalls line the banks of the river selling traditional Thai cuisines, such as Kuay Teow Reua (ก๋วยเตี๋ยวเรือ). Appropriately named “boat noodles” due to their history of being made and served in boats back when the canals in Bangkok were the primary form of transportation. There are also a plentiful array of souvenir and knick-knack shops available for perusing. Don't forget to haggle the price!
Pickup at your hotel in central Bangkok around 5:30 - 6:00 am (exact pickup time will be confirmed after reservation).
- Visit Maeklong Railway Market. If we arrive on time, you can take a ride on the train!
- Visit a home-made sugar factory and learn how coconut is used to make sugar and other useful things.
- Take a long tail boat (Thai gondola) and head to Damnoen Saduak floating market.
- 1-2pm: Arrive at your hotel in central Bangkok
- Air-conditioned transportation
- Train ride in the Maeklong market (if you catch it on time)
- Licensed English speaking tour guide
- Longtail boat ride through canals of Damnoen
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel in downtown Bangkok
- Admission fees
- Water and cold towels for refreshment
What's not included
- Lunch, tips, paddle boat ride (150 THB/person)
- Other personal expenses
Plan your trip
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximizes your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.