4 hours in total
Food and drinks included
Pick up at a meet-up point
What To Expect
The tour begins with a quick introduction of the oldest part of Taipei. Walking by the first footbridge and western hospital in the city. You will then quickly be guided to a scenic “beer garden” which is located at the foot of the Cisheng temple. From there you'll sample recipes that have been in families for multiple generations. Tastings from the 80-year-old yimian noodle shop to the 3rd generation fish ball stop will surely take you back in time to the early 1900s.
As you continue on the tour, you'll then wander down the famous Dihua Street. A street that overflows with locals leading up to lunar new years as they come and buy the large variety of traditional goods in the area in preparations for the festivals.
Dadaocheng(大稻埕), which means “a broad square to dry crops” in Chinese, is one of the oldest areas in Taipei. Its history could be traced back to the 19th century when the very first shop was opened by Lin Lan-tian(林藍田) in 1851.
Dadaocheng became the major business area in Northern Taiwan and was deeply influenced by international business. Foreigners and Chinese came and founded tea shops or tea factories. John Dodd, a British businessman who is known as “Father of Taiwan Oolong Tea”, also established Dent & Co. (寶順洋行) at Dadaocheng. Tea industry reached its climate in the Qing dynasty.
Dihua Street is the oldest street in Dadaocheng area, which shows in the diversity of the architectural style seen in the area. There are mainly three kinds of architecture style on Dihua Street: Fujian, Baroque-inspired and Modernist architecture. Fujian style was introduced during the Qing dynasty, while the others were introduced by the Japanese. In front of Baroque-inspired and Modernist styles, you'll notice many buildings boast a symbol representing the product that is being sold by the owners. One of the most noticeable ones is the Ginseng ornament on Qian Yang Herbal Store's wall.
- 11:00 am: Pick up from Daqiaotou MRT station. Meet your local guide and start your 3-hour exploring Taipei local street food.
- Learn about the oldest part of Taipei.
- Walk through the first footbridge and western hospital in the city.
- Visit "scenic beer" garden in the Mazu Temple.
- Travel back in time and taste traditional Taiwanese pastry handcrafted from a 100-year-old pastry shop.
- Navigate the shopping district of Dihua street, where there are many street vendors selling dried fruits, Chinese medicine, herbs and other local delicacies.
- Sample noodles made from scratches everyday from a century-old noodle shop, topped with traditional Taiwanese yimian sauce.
- Quench your thirst with a unique blend of herbal tea at the herbal valley.
- Visit Xia-Hai City God Temple, or the Official Temple of Love, where you can pray for good luck in love and marriage.
- 02:00 pm: Transfer back to the departure point and conclude the tour.
- There is limited selection for vegetarians in this area, so please check out our Xinyi District Backstreets Food Tour for a vegetarian-friendly tour.
- Suitable for all ages and fitness levels.
- Please bring your own raincoat, umbrella as well as comfortable clothes in case of rain.
- Pick-up and drop-off at Daqiaotou MRT station
- Experienced English-speaking guide
- 10+ food and beverage tastings
What's not included
- Other activities not mentioned in the program
- Personal expenses
Plan your trip
- Join a small group tour of maximum 6 people
- Join group message after payment
- Instant confirmation
- Free cancellation - 48 hrs notice
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximize your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.