4 hours in total
Pick up at your hotel
What To Expect
Treat yourself by treating elephants. After arriving we will begin with an introduction into elephant behavior, their connections with humans and how we communicate with one another. We will then have the chance to create our own unique treats for them using various healthy and delicious ingredients. These treats help insure a positive first meeting before the bathing begins.
Using traditional brushes and soaps collected in the jungle you will get the chance to share in the enjoyment of one of every elephant's favorite pastimes. After introducing yourselves to one another you will walk into the cool waters of the Nam Khan river. The hardest part is trying to tell whether it's the people or elephants enjoying themselves more.
- Begin: After pickup from in town or at your hotel we will depart Luang Prabang around 2:00pm for the village of Xieng Lom. Upon arrival guests are invited to have coffee or tea as your guide for they day gives an in-depth introduction elephant behavior and they ways we as humans should interact with them.
- Cooking for elephants: Before heading across the river to the elephants, you will create your own unique flavor and delicious snack to help ensure instant friendship with your soon to be elephant friends. Using rice as a base you will have various fruits, herbs and seasonings to mix together and make an elephant health ball.
- First meeting: A quick boat ride across the Nam Khan river will deliver you to the waiting elephants. Your guide will instruct you on how to begin approaching and interacting with them as well as the best way to deliver your handmade treat.
- Time to get wet: Follow the elephants, your guide and the mahouts into the river to begin scrub-down. The natural brushes and soaps collected from the jungle both help to clean and protect the skin of these giants. We urge guests not to be offended if an elephant accidently sprays you with its trunk during this process – it's all in fun
- Goodbyes: By far the most difficult part of the day. If you, the mahouts, and guide are able to finally convince the elephants to get out of the river and back to dry land you will have a few last moments for hugs and maybe a few more treats.
- Finish: After a drink and snacks overlooking the Nam Khan river where your excursion had just taken place you will start the short journey back into the town of Luang Prabang. Arrive approximately 4:30 – 5:00pm.
- Snacks (for you and the elephants)
Plan your trip
Join a group of maximum 06 people
Free cancellation - 48 hrs notice