14 hours in total
Buffet lunch, transport included
Pick up at your hotel
What To Expect
Depart from the center of Chiang Mai city, this wonderful day tour to Chiang Rai will take you all the way up north to the border between Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar. You will get a chance to explore some of the country's most notable temples, as well as stops at local markets and villages to learn more about the life of hill tribe villages at the northern border.
The journey to Chiang Rai takes around 3 hours and we will make our first stop at the hot springs. Here, take your time to relax in the hot foot bath, boil eggs in the naturally hot water or get something to eat or drink.
We then head back on the road to our most impressive destination of the day: the Wat Rong Khun, which is also knowns as the White Temple, a famous Buddhist temple in Thailand. This unique temple was constructed during the last years of the 20th century and has rapidly become one of the symbols of Chiang Rai city.
After spending 40 minutes exploring the temple, we drive the van further north towards the Golden Triangle, where you will enjoy a delicious Thai buffet lunch at a local restaurant. Take a short break for nearly an hour and move towards a unique viewpoint, where you have an amazing view over the Mekong river. The borders of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar meet here.
Next, make a visit to an Akha hill tribe village. You'll get a chance to see more colorful people in their traditional clothes living in their natural environment. Take a walk around the village to see what they do in their daily life. From here, you can take an optional tour to a Karen long neck village or stay in the Akha village for another 30 minutes and enjoy a local market and foods.
By the end of the day, it's time to head back to Chiang Mai. We leave at around 18:00 and make a stop at a roadside gas station with minimart and restaurant where you can enjoy a snack or meal. The trip back takes around 3 hours, so we should be back in Chiang Mai and back at your hotel at 21:00. A long day full of activities and highlights of the far north of Thailand will certainly leave you with insightful experiences and lifetime memories!
- 07:00 AM - 07:45 AM: Pick up at your hotel in downtown. Meet your local guide and start your day exploring Chiang Rai, White temple and the famous Golden Triangle from Chiang Mai.
- 09:00 AM: Have a 20-minute break at the hot springs in the south of Chiang Rai, enjoy the photogenic scenery of this area before heading to the White Temple.
- 11:00 AM: Arrive at the White temple, one of the most visited temples in Thailand due to its unique architecture.
- 01:00 PM: Enjoy a delicious Thai buffet lunch at a local restaurant near the Golden Triangle.
- 02:00 PM: Arrive at the special viewpoint where you can get the panoramic view of Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos.
- 04:40 PM: Visit Akha hill tribe village and get a glimpse into the traditional life of Karen long neck village.
- 06:00 PM - 09:00 PM: Transfer back to your hotel in Chiang Mai and conclude the tour.
- Dress code: no sleeveless shirts and wear comfortable walking shoes. Please bring your own hat, sunglasses, bottled water, etc. to prevent heat stroke.
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel in Chiang Mai downtown
- Air-conditioned van
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees to all attractions
- Thai buffet lunch
- Mineral water
- Travel insurance
What's not included
- Other activities not mentioned in the program
- Other personal expenses
Plan your trip
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximize your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.