Skip the line and save time
Countless cultural experiences
Phu Sa Theatre
What To Expect
Ca trù (also known as “hát ả đào”, “hát nhà trò”, “hát nói”…) is one kind of folk music with origins in northern Vietnam. Ca trù firstly appeared in 11th century, under Hau Ly dynasty and it has been preserved for the past 10 centuries. Ca trù is named on the UNESCO List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in need of Urgent Safeguarding in 2009.
Ca trù groups often have three performers: a female singer and two instrumentalists. The female singer uses breathing techniques and vibrato to create unique ornamented sounds while playing the clappers (phách) or striking a wooden box. One of two instrumentalists plays the đàn đáy, a long-necked, three-stringed lute used almost exclusively for the ca trù and the other is the spectator or “quan viên” (often a scholar or connoisseur of the art) who strikes a trống chầu (praise drum) in praise (or disapproval) of the singer's performance, usually with every passage of the song. Some Ca trù performances also include dance.
The varied forms of Ca trù fulfill different social purposes, including worship singing, singing for entertainment, singing in royal palaces and competitive singing. Folk artists transmit the music and poems that comprise Ca trù pieces by oral and technical transmission, formerly, within their family line, but now to any who wish to learn.
- 7:00 pm
- Ticket to Ca Tru show
- A complementary light meal and drink
What's not included
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off service
Plan your trip
- Instant confirmation
- Skip the line and save your time
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximize your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.