8 hours in total
Water, transport included
Pick up at your hotel
What To Expect
Today we visit three of the most interesting of all the temples outside the main Angkor group and for many people the highlights of their time in Cambodia.
Boeng Mealea stands almost forgotten in jungle and getting to the site is quite an adventure in itself. Isolated during Cambodia's civil war, Boeng Mealea was under the control of the Khmer Rouge for decades but has since been 'de-mined' and outsiders can now safely visit this temple. It is the largest temple outside the main Angkor complex and in places it is remarkably intact, but in other places utterly destroyed; tree roots envelop many of the temple walls and doorways. The atmosphere here is eerie but a welcome contrast to the more visited temples closer to Angkor Wat. Boeng Mealea shares many characteristics with Angkor Wat, but on a smaller scale. It has three encircling galleries, the same four gates and entrances, and a pair of interior libraries. It differs from Angkor Wat in having only one central tower instead of the famous five towers of Angkor Wat.
Next, we will come to Banteay Srei. The detailed reliefs on this smaller sandstone structure are regarded as the finest, most skillfully crafted in Cambodia. Banteay Srei has only been accessible since the late 1990s, when the Khmer Rouge left the area.
We end our discoveries of the temples of Angkor with a brief stop at well-preserved Banteay Samre, a laterite structure which once featured internal moats.
- 08:00 am: Departing your hotel, you begin with a drive for two hours through scenic rural Cambodia to Boeng Mealea temple.
- En route we stop at Dom Deak town for a wander through a typical Cambodian village market.
- Mid-morning we arrive at King Suryavarman II's eleventh century Boeng Mealea temple – a prototype for the more famous Angkor Wat.
- We end out stay at this special site with a picnic lunch (own expense) and then set out for the intricately carved and well-preserved Banteay Srei. The detailed reliefs on this smaller sandstone structure are regarded as the finest, most skillfully crafted in Cambodia.
- We end our discoveries of the temples of Angkor with a brief stop at well-preserved Banteay Samre, a laterite structure which once featured internal moats.
- Late afternoon return to town after a memorable days exploration.
- Visit the most skillfully crafted of Banteay Srei & Boeng Mealea
- English-speaking local guide
- Air-conditioned transports
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
What's not included
- Temples entrance fee
Plan your trip
- Customize itinerary to suit your preference
- Request now, pay later
- Direct chat with local guide before the trip
- Free cancellation - 48 hrs notice
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximizes your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.