3 hours in total
Pick up at a meet-up point
What To Expect
You'll meet your tour guide at the entrance gate of the Confucius Temple to start this tour, usually at 10:00 AM. You'll select your bike and optional helmet and your guide will briefly explain Shanghai traffic and rules of the road before you start this historic 3-hour bike tour of Old Shanghai.
Close by, you'll ride through a resettlement area that highlights the amazing changes that Shanghai has undergone in recent decades. You'll see 100-year-old homes, many of them already bricked up and ready for destruction to pave way for China's future. As you ride through the narrow back streets, you'll stop at homes where residents often allow us to have a brief tour of these traditional homes and peer into their lives. You can talk to the residents and ask questions to hear the stories they are anxious to share.
As we ride on you'll visit a traditional public bathroom that supports the community, ride through the planned community from the 1930's where you can experience upper-class homes from this era and homes under renovation using traditional bamboo scaffolding that covers the buildings and making life very inconvenient to the locals.
We'll continue along the streets of Old Shanghai and see a wide range of sites as you continue you'll get engulfed in the culture of Shanghai including a Taoist Temple that is under renovation, streets lined with traditional homes on one side and modern apartments on the other, a decorative materials district with their colorful offerings, as well as local schools, retirement homes, and bustling street life.
Other highlights of this historic bike tour includes a school from a recent century that is now one of city's Unmovable Heritage Cultural Sites, one of last remaining pieces of the ancient Shanghai City Wall, a 500 year-old structure from the Ming Dynasty, Shouning Road (nicknamed Prawn Street) where you'll see local food vendors along with bins of writhing snakes and the Shanghai Bird and Insect Market with all of its chirping stalls, colorful birds, rats, hamsters and creepy crawly insects,
Finally, you'll then return to our starting place, the Confucius Temple, the top university in the history of Shanghai. It was built in 1291 and the only place to pay respects to Confucius in the city. Your group will enjoy the most peaceful and tranquil Confucius Tea Ceremony.
- 10:00 am: Pick up from the entrance gate of Confucious Temple (detailed direction will be given after reservation). Greet your local guide, select your bicycle and helmet, listen to some brief explanations of Shanghai traffic condition and start your 3-hour Shanghai private city tour.
- Ride through a resettlement area that highlights the amazing changes that Shanghai has undergone in recent decades.
- Discover the narrow alleys of old Shanghai, stop by the local homes and have a brief tour of their houses to see Chinese traditional architecture.
- Visit a traditional public bathroom and ride through the planned community from the 1930's where you can experience upper-class homes.
- Explore local food vendors at Shouning Road (also known as Prawn Street).
- Stop by an ancient Taoist temple
- See traditional homes under renovation
- Visit a local school, which is now one of the city's Unmovable Heritage Cultural Sites.
- Visit the Bird and Insect market.
- Return to our starting place - Confucius Temple, the top university in the history of Shanghai.
- Enjoy the most peaceful and tranquil Confucious Tea Ceremony before saying goodbye to your local guide.
- 01:00 pm: The bike tour ends at Confucious Temple.
- Private English-speaking guide
- A high-quality modern bike with optional helmet
- Entrance fee to Confucius Temple
- Bottled water
- A traditional and relaxing tea ceremony
What's not included
- Pick-up and drop-off from your hotel
- Other personal expenses
- Other food and drinks
Plan your trip
- Customize itinerary to suit your preference
- Request now, pay later
- Direct with local guide before the trip
- Free cancellation - 48 hrs notice
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximize your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.