8 hours in total
Lunch, transport included
Pick up from downtown Bangkok
What To Expect
Located about an hour drive from Bangkok is the ancient kingdom of Ayutthaya. Spend a day exploring the historic beauty of this once-famous center of global diplomacy and commerce!
In our Ayutthaya tours, you will be making a short journey by minivan to the Historic City of Ayutthaya, Thailand's previous capital. The city was founded in 1350 and destroyed in 1767 when the Burmese invaded and burnt the city down to the ground. Ruins of the Buddhist temples show that the city was one of the world's most prosperous cities at the time, and it officially became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1991. The Historic City of Ayutthaya is certainly one of the most intriguing cities in all of Southeast Asia.
Ayutthaya is still brimming with about 50 temples that remain standing today. One of the most remarkable temples is Wat Phra Mahathat. You may better recognize this temple as the one that is home to the large stone Buddha head embedded in the roots of a large tree. It is said to enshrine relics from the Buddha himself, giving immense status to this temple as the center of Buddhism in the previous Ayutthaya Kingdom.
Other great temples include Wat Phra Si Sanphet - the grandest temple, Wat Yai Chai Mongkol, Wat Phra Ram, and many more. Each tour option (private or small group) will provide a different itinerary with its own list of temples. Let your local guide tell you the story of the old capital, as well as the mysteries surrounding each temple.
After stopping by a local Thai restaurant for a delicious lunch, hop back in your minivan to check out the Bang Pa-In Royal Palace. Also known as the Summer Palace, the structure is made up of a number of noteworthy buildings perfect for photographing and exploring on foot. European architecture makes up the majority of the palace, which used to be frequented by the royal family in the summer but is now used for special events involving the monarchy.
- 6:30 - 7:00 am: Pick up at your hotel in Bangkok (exact pickup time will be confirmed after payment)
- 9:30 am: Visit Bang Pa-In Summer Palace
- 10:30 am: Arrive in Ayutthaya
- Visit a selection of temples in the Historical Park of Ayutthaya, such as:
- Wat Mahathat
- Wat Yai Chai Mong Khol
- Wat Phra Si Sanphet
- Wat Phra Non
- Viharn Phra Monkol Bopit
- Have lunch at a local Thai restaurant
- Around 4:30 pm: Return to your hotel in central Bangkok
- Dress code: no sleeveless shirts, long pants or long skirt
- Lunch as mentioned
- Air-conditioned transports
- All entrance fees
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel in downtown Bangkok
- English-speaking guide
- Exclusions: drinks, tips, and insurance.
Plan your trip
Still have question?
How do I book on Inspitrip?
- Small group tour: operates with a maximum number of people. If you like to make new friends, this is a great option. You would pay for the trip to confirm your slot, then join a chat group with your local guide as well as fellow travel buddies, everything would be on Inspitrip. Get to know them!
- Private tour: maximizes your privacy and allows you to freely customize the itinerary. First, request to communicate any specific needs you may have, wait a couple minutes for these requests to be confirmed, and then you can proceed to payment.